Page 96 - Faculty Handbook2

Basic HTML Version

Academic Concerns
Campus academic advising offices are equipped to support
students through their struggles. Therefore, you need to
inform those offices when students perform poorly. If a
student persists in insisting that a D will ruin his or her life,
refer the student to the academic advising office (and phone
or email the office to alert the staff, in case the student does
not follow through).
As you become aware that a student in your course or one of
your advisees is struggling, the most effective way to assist
the student is to contact your college’s academic advising
office. Once the advising staff have been informed about a
particular student’s difficulties, they will be able to check
whether the student has broader problems or whether the
difficulty is isolated (not all students, after all, will succeed in
every subject).
Written by David DeVries, Associate Dean of Undergraduate
Education/Undergraduate Research, College of Arts and
Sciences, Cornell University
Most students come to college with fairly clear ideas about
which major(s) they will pursue. Once they start exploring
the breadth of programs available at your institution, they
often discover exciting options they had never considered.
Some end up adding a major or minor to their original plan,
but some may completely change academic direction.