Page 97 - Faculty Handbook2

Basic HTML Version

Academic Concerns
If the new major is offered in another department or college
within your institution, the student may need to do an
internal transfer, but even if the new major is in the same
department/college, the faculty advisor may not be familiar
with its requirements. The student may not have met the
prerequisites for entry into the major and it may even be too
late in the student’s academic career to switch majors and
graduate in four years.
Whatever the case, the college academic advising staff are
best positioned to provide guidance to the student, because
they are familiar with general college distribution and
specific departmental requirements. College academic
advising staff also have experience in supporting students
through related issues, such as dealing with families who
may disapprove of the student’s decision to change majors.
Written by Ray Kim, Assistant Dean, Arts and Sciences
Academic Advising Center, Cornell University