b'Campus academic advising offices are equipped to support students through their struggles. Therefore, you need to inform those offices when students perform poorly. If a student persists in insisting that a D will ruin his or her life, refer the student to the academic advising office (and phone or email the office to alert the staff, in case the student does not follow through). As you become aware that a student in your course or one of your advisees is struggling, the most effective way to assist the student is to contact your colleges academic advising office. Once the advising staff have been informed about a particular students difficulties, they will be able to check whether the student has broader problems or whether the difficulty is isolated (not all students, after all, will succeed in every subject). Written by David DeVries, Associate Dean of Undergraduate Education/Undergraduate Research, College of Arts and Sciences, Cornell University THE STUDENT WHO NEEDS A MAJOR Most students come to college with fairly clear ideas about which major(s) they will pursue. Once they start exploring the breadth of programs available at your institution, they often discover exciting options they had never considered. Some end up adding a major or minor to their original plan, but some may completely change academic direction. Academic Concerns96'