b'If the new major is offered in another department or college within your institution, the student may need to do an internal transfer, but even if the new major is in the same department/college, the faculty advisor may not be familiar with its requirements. The student may not have met the prerequisites for entry into the major and it may even be too late in the students academic career to switch majors and graduate in four years. Whatever the case, the college academic advising staff are best positioned to provide guidance to the student, because they are familiar with general college distribution and specific departmental requirements. College academic advising staff also have experience in supporting students through related issues, such as dealing with families who may disapprove of the students decision to change majors. Written by Ray Kim, Assistant Dean, Arts and Sciences Academic Advising Center, Cornell UniversityAcademic Concerns97'